Top GNWT Menu

Leaving the GNWT

Pay and Benefits Q&A – Resignation or Retirement from the GNWT

*The GNWT employs several employee types including full-time and term UNW employees, relief employees, school year employees, NWTTA teachers, Excluded employees and Senior Managers.  The information below serves as general information only and may not apply to you.  If you have any specific questions prior to your resignation or retirement, please contact the HRHelpDesk via e-mail at or toll free at 1-866-475-8162.

Q – Where can I find an electronic copy of the GNWT Resignation & Retirement Form?

You can find the form on the My HR website using the following hyperlink to the Employee Forms section:

Q – Should I speak with a Benefits Specialist before I resign or retire?

If you are 50 years of age or older, with more than 2 years of pensionable service, it is recommended that you contact the HR Helpdesk. Please include your termination date. A Benefits Specialist will follow up with you to provide additional information on what to expect regarding your pension, benefits and insurances after you leave the GNWT.

Q – Where in HRIS can I see the benefits and insurances I’m current enrolled in?

To determine which benefits apply to you, please review your benefit enrolment by signing in to HRIS and navigating to: 

Navigator > HRIS > Self Service > Benefits > Benefits Summary

Q – Should I contact the Pension Centre before I retire or resign from the GNWT?

Yes, it is a good idea to call the Pension Centre prior to leaving the GNWT. 

Public Service Pension Plan information is available on the My HR website. You may contact the Pension Centre at 1-800-561-7930 to discuss:

  • Pensionable Service; Pension Estimate; Pension Options
  • Possible continuation of the Supplementary Death Benefit (SDB)
  • Possible continuation of the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP).

When contacting the Pension Centre, you will your Personal Record Identifier (“PRI” number).   You can find your PRI in HRIS:

Navigator > Employee Self Service > Leave details > enter Employee ID# > Employee Information tab

Q – Can I continue to participate in the Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP/Sun Life) after I leave the GNWT?  What about my dental plan (Green Shield)?

 Public Service Health Care Coverage with the GNWT will cease at the end of the month following the month of termination.  For example, if you terminate on June 15, 2022, your coverage will cease July 31, 2022.   Contact the Pension Centre to discuss the possibility of continuing coverage when you begin receiving your pension.

You can find more information by visiting > Coverage > Leaving the Plan:

Dental Plan (Green Shield) coverage will stop on your last day of employment. There is no option to continue this benefit, even in the case of retirement. Green Shield does however offer Group Conversion Packages for Dental and Health Coverage. Additional information may be obtained directly from Green Shield at 1-800-667-0429.

Q – What happens to my Public Service Management Insurance Plan (PSMIP) after I leave the GNWT. 

Coverage under this plan will cease on your last day of employment, subject to a 31-day extension period during which you may convert your life insurance to an individual policy. For more information, contact Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. at 1-800-977-2117. The group policy number is G68-1400.

Q – What happens to my disability insurance coverage after I leave the GNWT?

Disability Insurance (DI) or Long-Term Disability Insurance (LTD) coverage cease on your last day of employment.

Q – Will I be paid out my sick, special and vacation leave balances on my final pay?

 On your final pay, earned but unused vacation leave will be paid to you.  Sick and special leave balances will not be paid.  All overused leave balances will be recovered.

It is important that all your timesheet entries are up-to-date and approved by your Time Approver prior to your final day at work.

Q – Do I qualify for severance pay?

Refer to your applicable Collective Agreement or Employee Handbook for information regarding severance pay.  If applicable, your severance will be paid on your final pay.

You can find copies of the Collective Agreements and Employee Handbooks on the My HR website:

Q – When will I receive my Final Pay?

Your final pay will be typically released one to two pays after your last regular pay cheque. 

Your Record of Employment (ROE) will be filed electronically with Service Canada. A copy will be  available for you to view or print by logging in to your “My Service Canada” account.  You can log in or create an account with Service Canada at

Q – I will be moving out of my community – do I qualify for moving assistance?

Refer to your applicable Collective Agreement or Employee Handbook for information regarding Ultimate Removal. 

 Your Collective Agreement or Employee Handbook can be found on the My HR website

MY HR > Resources > Terms of Employment.

Q – After I leave the GNWT, how will I receive my T4?

You will maintain access to HRIS after your termination so that you may view and print your T4’s.

Please note, to ensure this access is maintained you must sign in to HRIS at least once every 365 days. Also, you will not have access to your timesheet or the ability to update personal information.

If you have previously provided consent to receive your T4 electronically you must view and print T4/T4A’s by signing in to HRIS. A paper copy will not be issued. If you have not given consent for electronic T4’s but would like to, sign into PeopleSoft and go to:

Main Menu > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > T4/T4A Consent

*For further assistance, please contact the HRHelpDesk via e-mail at or toll free at 1-866-475-8162.

Q - I have Multiple Records can I transfer my sick/special leave from one record to another?

If you are an active UNW member who is continuous in all of the records, and you have used all your leave and are in the arrears for sick or special leave, you can transfer your leave to cover the arrears from one record to another. 

Your leave will only be transferred upon request, and you must ensure you have the leave available. You will then submit a help desk ticket to Financial and Employee Share Services ( to receive a form for the transaction. Your supervisors for the positions must be aware of the request.
If you do not meet all the requirements, your HRHelpDesk ticket may be rejected until all the requirements are met. 

If you have any questions, please contact your supervisor. 

Q –

I would like to use vacation leave prior to my retirement.  How do I calculate my leave credits up to my date of retirement?

Any vacation leave requests, including any leave prior to your retirement, must follow your department’s leave protocols. Speak with your supervisor should you have any questions about the process to request leave.

In addition to your asking your supervisor, should you have questions about calculating your vacation leave entitlements, you can register for a People-Soft Self Service online course found in the Learning & Development training calendar on My HR. The Reviewing Benefits Plans module will cover the Vacation Leave Details tab of the Leave Details section of HRIS Employee Self Service and how leave entitlements are calculated.

Further, your applicable Collective Agreement or Employee Handbook has information on the accumulation of vacation leave.