Top GNWT Menu

Article 45 - Duty Travel

Search UNW Collective Agreement



45.01 An employee who is authorized to travel on Government business will be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred.


45.02 Where the expenses for meals, lodging and other items cannot be kept within the entitlements laid down in this Article, the claimant must explain the circumstances on his/her claim and justify actual expenses by receipts.


45.03 The cost of transportation is authorized as follows:
  (a) economy air (employees may be entitled to travel first class if proof is provided that economy air was not available on a required flight);
  (b) privately owned car (refer to Article 45.10 to 45.15);
  (c) chartered aircraft;
  (d) first class rail with sleeping car, duplex roomette, or parlour car chair except that coach class should normally be used for short trips;
  (e) rented or hired cars - where this is the most reasonable or economical means of travel; 


45.04 (a) Commercial Accommodation (Not Exceeding Fifteen (15) Calendar Days) - employees will be reimbursed for actual costs of authorized accommodation.  Where possible employees shall use hotels, which provide special rates for Government employees. When making a reservation with a listed hotel, it should be clearly indicated that the accommodation is for a Government of the Northwest Territories employee in travel status and is to be at the Government agreed rate. Commercial accommodation expenses must be accompanied by receipts.
  (b) Accommodation for Periods in Excess of Fifteen (15) Calendar Days - normally the employee will be expected to make appropriate arrangements for suitable rental accommodation at weekly or monthly rates.  This should be arranged prior to the start of the period in travel status or shortly after arrival.
  (c) Non-Commercial Accommodation - where employees make private arrangements for overnight accommodation, they may claim $50.00 for each night.  This rate will be adjusted as the Federal rate is changed.
  (d) Government Accommodation - employees on extended trips may be provided with temporary accommodation at the discretion of the Employer.  Employees who obtain such lodging are not entitled to the $50.00 non-commercial accommodation allowance referred to in Clause 45.04(c), and are financially responsible for any damage incurred.  Employees provided with this accommodation are not required to pay rent if they are in receipt of a private accommodation allowance or are paying rent at their usual place of residence.


45.05 (a) Expenses claimed under this heading are for the cost of meals consumed and for such incidental expenses as tips to miscellaneous service personnel, etc. For periods of duty travel not exceeding fifteen (15) calendar days, a per diem rate of $113.45 will be paid.  In the event an employee is in travel status for a part day only, the following amounts may be claimed:
    (i) Breakfast $21.85
    (ii) Lunch $21.05
    (iii) Dinner $53.25
    (iv) Incidentals $17.30
    If meals are provided as part of the cost of transportation, they cannot be claimed for by the employee.

Click here for current duty travel rates.



Where the actual cost of meals and services exceeds the maximum allowance, and where the reason for this excess can be justified, and the expenses supported by receipts (cost of meals is not to be included on hotel bill), the employee will be reimbursed for the actual expense incurred.  Where receipts cannot be provided, reimbursement will be made for the meal allowances outlined above.

  (b) Except in communities where housekeeping units or reasonable room and board are not available, when travel status extends beyond fifteen (15) calendar days in one location, the maximum amount claimable per day for meals shall be reduced to fifty (50%) percent of the amounts identified in 45.05(a) for all days in excess of fifteen (15) calendar days.
  (c) An employee may not be treated as "in travel status" if he/she is appointed to the establishment of one head-quarters area, but his/her duties are carried out at another location during the major portion of the time or continuously.
  (d) Where the return trip is made in one day, the amount claimable shall be on the basis of meals only.


45.06 Employees may be reimbursed for:
  (a) long distance telephone calls of an official nature providing that an explanation is provided. Where an employee is required to remain absent from his/her home over a week-end, and has been on continuous travel status for two (2) or more days preceding the week-end, he/she shall be reimbursed for a personal long distance call not to exceed five (5) minutes (to be supported by receipts where available);
  (b) baggage - for storage and excess baggage charges where this is in the performance of duty and a satisfactory explanation is provided;
  (c) taxis - the use of taxis must be explained except where the purpose is self-evident.  Taxis should not be authorized for repeated trips between the same place where convenient public transportation is available.
  (d) laundry - after 7 consecutive days on duty travel, a maximum of $20.00, and the same amount for each subsequent 7 days, if not supported by receipts; or after 5 consecutive days on duty travel a maximum of $20.00 and the same amount for each subsequent 5 days  supported by receipts in all cases.
  (e) local phone calls for business purposes.
  (f) payment of casual wages for service personnel where a satisfactory explanation is provided, not to exceed $50.00.
  (g) Child care expenses - employees may be reimbursed a maximum of fifty dollars ($50) per day per child upon provision of receipts, if the employee, due to the requirement to travel on behalf of the Employer, incurs child care expenses which exceed those which would have normally been incurred.


45.07 Notwithstanding Clause 45.06(f), no item of "other expenses" or transportation in excess of ten dollars ($10.00) will be reimbursed unless it is supported by a receipt.
45.08 The following expenses will not be allowed:
  (a) purchase of briefcases, fountain pens, tools or any other supplies or equipment;

rental of television or radio receiving sets, where not included in the charge for lodgings;

  (c) purchases of a personal nature, such as baggage, clothing, etc.;
  (d) subject to Clause 45.06(a), telephone, telegraph, cable, or radio messages of a personal nature except in the case of unavoidable delay in arrival home;
  (e) expenses of any kind incurred during stopovers for personal reasons or during periods of leave, with or without pay;
  (f) any losses of money or of personal belongings.


45.09 (a) The Employer shall authorize duty travel by signing the Travel Authorization and Expense Claim before the start of the trip.
  (b) This form is to be submitted as a request for an advance of travel expenses where this is required.
  (c) All requests for advances should be submitted at least three (3) working days before the trip commences.
  (d) The form will be returned to the claimant along with the cheque for the advance.
  (e) Within ten (10) days of completing the trip, the employee shall submit his/her claim for expenses on the pre-authorized form for approval by the Employer, along with a personal cheque to cover any amount by which the travel advance exceeds the total of the claim.
  (f) No employee is allowed to have more than one travel advance outstanding at any one time, unless circumstances indicate the need for two.  Failure to comply with this regulation will result in automatic payroll deductions being initiated for the total amount of the advance.


45.10 (a) The Employer will reimburse an employee who, with prior authority, uses a privately owned car for necessary travel on Government business or on removal.
  (b) The use of a privately owned car shall not be authorized when, because of the additional time involved, commercial transportation would be more reasonable and practicable.
  (c) When the total cost of the trip, including the cost of meals, lodging and incidental expenses exceeds the cost of the same journey by ordinary commercial means, reimbursement shall be limited to the commercial cost.


45.11 Subject to Clauses 45.13 and 45.14, the following entitlements are provided:
  (a) where the use of privately owned car is authorized:


(i) for the Employer's rather than the individual's convenience - an allowance of 0.545 cents per kilometre for travel within the Northwest Territories and 0.495 cents per kilometre for travel elsewhere;
    (ii) for the individual's rather than the Employer's convenience - an allowance of 28 cents per kilometre.
    These rates will be adjusted as the Federal rates are changed.

reimbursement for ferry, bridge, road and tunnel tolls and parking charges;

  (c) other travel expenses where applicable.


45.12 The following limitations shall apply:
  (a) persons not covered by personal insurance shall not be authorized to use a private car on Government business;
  (b) the Government will not pay for any additional cost of insurance which may be required on the employee's car by reason of using it on Government business;
  (c) the distance allowance for enroute travel shall be calculated:

for enroute travel, on distances given in the Canadian Warehousing Official Distance Guide, where these are listed, e.g. Yellowknife to Edmonton - 1,514 km. (938 mi);

    (ii) for other enroute distances, on the generally accepted kilometrages for the most direct route.
  (d) no additional distance allowance will be paid where other employees on duty are carried as passengers.
45.13 The Employer will not pay any claims for damage, loss or liability incurred by an employee while driving an automobile on Government business other than those claimed under the Workers' Compensation Act.


45.14 (1) The Employer shall authorize distance allowance by signing the Travel Authorization and Expense Claim before the start of the trip.
  (2) Upon completion of the trip, the claim shall:
    (a) be completed by the employee;
    (b) be supported by receipts for lodging, etc. (where applicable);
    (c) show separately details of:
      (i)      enroute kilometrages;
(ii)      business kilometrages (if any) in lieu of taxis at destination;
    (d) be submitted to the Employer for approval and payment.


45.15 The Employer will reimburse employees for unusual transportation expenses necessarily incurred while carrying out their duties within their headquarters area.


45.16 Subject to the Employer's approval, payment shall be made for transportation in the headquarters area of the employee in the following circumstances:
    (a) for a taxi between home and place of duty where the employee is required to work after normal hours and circumstances such as the combination of late hours, weather, and distance make it unreasonable to use his/her normal means of getting to or from work;
    (b) where transportation is necessary for such reasons as the carrying of bulky documents or because of the time factor and the method chosen is the most economical under the circumstances.


45.17 Except with the prior approval of the Employer, no payment shall be made for daily transportation expenses within a headquarters area between the home of an employee and his/her place of duty.