- In addition to time off with pay outlined in collective agreements and handbooks, under certain circumstances employees are entitled to time off with pay without having to complete an application for leave. There is no charge against leave credits in such cases.
- These guidelines and procedures apply to all employees except those employed by the NWT Power Corporation.
- Time off for voting is provided to employees eligible to vote in a federal, territorial or municipal election.
- Federal Elections and Referenda: Under the provisions of the Canada Elections Act, employers shall provide employees eligible to vote in a federal election with time off so as to allow for three consecutive hours to vote during the hours the polls are open.
- Territorial/Provincial Elections: Under the provisions of the Elections and Plebiscites Act, employees eligible to vote in a territorial election shall be granted time off so as to allow for three consecutive hours to vote during the hours the polls are open. Employees eligible to vote in a provincial election, by virtue of their work location, shall be governed by the provisions of the applicable provincial statute.
- Municipal Elections: The Deputy Minister of Human Resources may provide eligible employees time off to vote in municipal elections.
- An employee who is a candidate for a position in the Public Service, or an employee on lay-off notice who is being interviewed by a prospective employer, shall be granted leave of absence with pay. The leave will be for the period during which the employee's presence is required for such purposes and includes reasonable travel time.
- Time off on special occasions, such as Royal Visits, is at the discretion of the Deputy Minister of Human Resources. The conditions under which time off is granted are specified on each occasion.
- The Deputy Minister of Human Resources grants employees an annual one half-day holiday in communities that hold a winter carnival. The community should make requests for the one half-day holiday at least 72 hours before the event.
- Employees notify their supervisor when participating in a selection process.
- The Department of Human Resources notifies employees of dates and times for voting and of special occasions.
Collective Agreement with the UNW
Article 33.02, Lay-off notice - interviews by prospective employer
Collective Agreement with the NWTTA
Article 15.03, Public service interviews