The GNWT supports a competent and well trained public service, and provision of training and development opportunities that support employees’ ability to effectively and efficiently deliver department and agency mandates to serve the residents of the Northwest Territories.
There are a variety of learning and development opportunities available to employees including:
- Courses, seminars, sessions on the Learning Calendar
- Developmental Transfer Assignments
- Special projects
- Acting opportunities
- Working with colleagues to redesign a work process
- Dealing with a dissatisfied customer or difficult supplier
- Leading team meetings
- Leadership Development Program
- Management Series
- Workshops and Seminars
- Job shadowing
You are encouraged to speak with your supervisor about specific learning, training and/or development needs and to identify these on your annual learning plans.
The Department of Finance coordinates a range of learning and development opportunities for GNWT employees to help ensure employees have the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities for effective job performance. A regularly-updated Learning & Development Calendar includes a variety of courses and workshops that are facilitated by content experts either employed by the Department of Finance or contracted specifically to deliver the course or workshop.
Leadership Development Program
Deputy Heads nominate individuals to participate in one of three leadership programs: Emerging Managers, Middle Managers or Executive Senior Managers. Each program consists of four or five two-day modules delivered by instructors from the University of Alberta.
The Management Series provides a consistent knowledge base for managers and supervisors in GNWT policies and processes, and offers a blend of mandatory and elective courses. Most individuals delivering the courses are existing GNWT employees with specific technical expertise and experience in the subject matter. To be eligible for the program, participants must have at least one directly reporting staff member.
This online learning program helps employees become more knowledgeable and aware of diversity and inclusion in the workplace, find the tools to build a more inclusive workplace and create an inclusive workplace for all.
The module is divided into three parts:
- Diversity in the NWT and Canada
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Workplace
- Diversity Management Outcomes
LGBTQ2S+ Inclusive Workplace Awareness Training is offered to all GNWT employees with support from the Rainbow Coalition of Yellowknife. The content of this half-day course is designed to provide all GNWT employees with the necessary knowledge and tools to recognize key terms associated with the LGBTQ2S+ community, identify and apply respectful behaviour and to support co-workers and clients within the LGBTQ2S+ community. By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Gain a basic understanding of key terms within the LGBTQ2S+ community;
- Identify the barriers and unique challenges that LGBTQ2S+ employees may experience in the workplace; and
- Take action in creating and supporting a healthy, inclusive workplace.
The Working Mind (TWM) is an education-based program designed by the Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) to address and promote mental health and reduce the stigma of mental illness in a workplace setting. This training is aimed to:
- Improve short-term performance and long-term mental health outcomes including resiliency
- Reduce barriers to care and encourage early access to care
- Provide the tools and resources required to manage and support employees who may be experiencing a mental illness
Participants are provided with valuable information, skills, tools and resources specific to:
- Stigma and barriers to care
- Healthy coping strategies
- Mental toughness
- The Mental Health Continuum Model, a self-assessment tool with indicators of positive, poor, and declining mental health
This course includes scenario-based practical applications and custom videos of people with lived experience of mental illness, participant reference guides, and related handouts.
References & Authorities:
GNWT Online Learning & Development Calendar:
Client Service Representative for more information on education leave.