Top GNWT Menu

Relocation - Hire/Transfer

Search Online Managers' Toolkit

Reimbursement for any relocation is limited to the costs for a move carried out in the most practical and economical manner.  Reasonable expenses incurred will be reimbursed.  You must have prior approval for all moves for which you wish to receive reimbursement.

While in transit, you shall be compensated at the applicable duty travel rates.  You shall be compensated, at regular salary, to a maximum of three (3) days.

The following expenses are allowed:


  • the most economical airfare;
  • privately owned vehicle (rates are in the section on duty travel).

Meals and Incidental Expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with the duty travel provisions outlined on page 21, for you and your spouse, plus an amount equal to
one-half of that rate for each dependent:

  • when the journey starts, for a maximum of three days.
  • en route, for the time required to make the direct journey.  If you are travelling by vehicle, you will be allowed accommodation and meal costs for up to one day for each 644 km (400 miles).  The distances are given in Google Maps.  Any distance not listed will be the generally accepted most direct route.
  • at the destination, while awaiting furniture or accommodation, for up to ten days if alone or 21 days if you have dependents.
  • In exceptional circumstances, such as lack of accommodation at the destination, you will receive additional reimbursement in reduced amounts to a maximum of $7.50 per day per person, $5.00 per day for each child under six years of age.
  • The maximum reimbursed for kilometres, meals and accommodation en route cannot exceed the total expense if you had made the trip by economy class air travel.

Excess Baggage to a maximum of six pieces plus two pieces for each of your dependents.  This applies if effects are moved separately by a slower method of transportation or if no other expenses are reimbursed for moving effects.  Each piece of excess baggage is limited to 32 kg (70 lbs).

Telephone calls necessary to facilitate shipment of effects.

Movement and storage of effects of up to 1,814 kg (4,000 lbs) is reimbursed or up to 6,084 kg (15,000 lbs) if you have dependents. 

Effects include furniture, household goods, equipment and personal effects of you and your dependents at the time of the move.  Effects do not include automobiles, boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers, animals or foodstuffs.  However, when a continuing employee is moved within the Northwest Territories, effects may include all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and foodstuffs.

Packing, crating, unpacking, uncrating, transportation and in-transit insurance costs will be reimbursed.  If professional movers are not available in the community, payment may be authorized for the cost of packing materials purchased from local stores and the cost of making crates by local residents. 

Temporary storage will be reimbursed until permanent accommodation is available (where authorized).

Long-term storage costs at the nearest facility will be reimbursed when it is not in the interest of the Government to move your effects.  Under normal circumstances, this storage will not exceed three years.

Incidental expenses of the move not specifically provided for will be reimbursed to a maximum of $250.

Real Estate and Legal Fees

Actual real estate, legal and notarial fees for the sale of your principal residence may be reimbursed.  The residence must be a single-family dwelling.  It must be sold within one year of the date of your authorization to transfer.

This does not apply to your initial appointment to the Public Service.

All claims must be authorized and receipts provided.

Duplicate Costs on Initial Appointment

In some cases, there will be duplicate costs because you cannot sell or rent a single family dwelling before your relocation.  Duplicate costs for up to three months from the date of appointment may be reimbursed.  Reimbursement will be the lesser of:

  • the monthly mortgage payment (principal and interest) on your old residence; and
  • the payment for your new residence.

This only applies to your initial appointment to the Public Service.

All claims must be authorized and receipts provided.

Cost of Breaking Lease

You will be reimbursed for the cost of fulfilling the terms of tenancy of leased premises at your former place of duty.

The maximum payment is for three months.


A move cannot be made without the prior approval of the Employer.

The daily maximum reimbursement for accommodation in a private home is $11 for the employee and $3 for each dependent.

Reimbursement shall be limited to costs, which would have been incurred if the move had been carried out in the most practical and economic manner.

In exceptional circumstances, additional expenses may be approved where the expenses for meals, accommodations or other items cannot be kept within the limits.  You must explain the circumstances.

You will not be paid relocation benefits if you have an established residence at your place of duty at the time of appointment.

You cannot claim the balance of any unused total weight allowance later.  An exception is made if transportation problems prevent you from transporting the total weight allowance in one shipment.

Travel advances shall not exceed the established amount of your entitlement under these removal benefit provisions.

If you are a casual employee hired from outside the community in which you will be working, you will be eligible for the following relocation expenses in and out of the community:

  • Airfare for you by the most economical and direct means;
  • Meals and Incident Expenses as per the Duty Travel section of this handbook;
  • One day’s pay each way;
  • Excess baggage (not including pets or food stuffs) to a maximum of four (4) pieces not more than 25 kilograms each, for the employee;
  • Lodging up to 10 days in the community of work.


You will be advised by the appropriate authority regarding how your move will be handled.

You must submit the following within 30 days of arrival:

  • a completed Travel Authorization and Expense Claim, with receipts;
  • where incidentals are claimed, a completed certificate as follows:

            -           "I certify that I have incurred expenses incidental to this move and not otherwise claimable in the amount of $               ."

  • a cheque for the balance of any advance you were issued.

You must sign an agreement that you will remain in the GNWT’s employ for a period of one (1) year in order to receive relocation expenses on initial appointment.   Should you not fulfil this service commitment due to resignation, abandonment of position, rejection on probation for cause or termination for cause, you are indebted to the GNWT for the amount received pursuant to the signed agreement.