Top GNWT Menu

Duty Travel

Search Excluded Employees' Handbook

You will be reimbursed for reasonable expenses within the following entitlements for authorized travel on Government business.  Exceptions will be considered where your expenses cannot be kept within the entitlements.  You must explain the circumstances on the claim and attach receipts.

When you are required to travel on behalf of the Employer, you will be paid as though you were at work for all hours traveled.

Hours traveled include one hour check-in period at airports (two hours check-in for flights originating outside Nunavut, the Yukon and the NWT), bus depots or train stations, as well as one hour check-out period at each overnight stopover and at the final destination.  Hours traveled also include time spent waiting for connecting flights, trains or buses, but is exclusive of overnight stopovers.

If you are absent from work on a designated paid holiday or a day of rest and do not work or travel, you will receive pay for up to one standard working day (7.5 or 8 hours) at 1.5 times your rate of pay.


  • Economy air (you may be entitled to travel by another class in certain circumstances, this should be verified by your Deputy Head);

  • Privately owned vehicle;
  • Chartered aircraft;
  • Rented vehicles - where this is the most reasonable or economical means of travel. The Government maintains coverage for collision damage to short term rental vehicles.

No reimbursement over $10 will be made without a receipt.


  • Commercial accommodation for 15 calendar days or less - actual costs of authorized accommodation.  Where possible, hotels with Government rates should be used.  When you make reservations, you should indicate that the accommodation is to be at the Government rate. 

  • Commercial accommodation for over 15 calendar days - where possible, you should make arrangements for suitable rental accommodation at weekly or monthly rates.

Expenses for commercial accommodation must be accompanied by receipts.

Non-commercial accommodation - $50.00 for each night. 

Meals and Incidental Expenses

You are paid an allowance for the cost of your meals and for incidental expenses such as tips.













Duty travel to the United States will be paid at the same rates, in U.S. dollars.  Click here for current duty travel rates.

Claims for meals on a partial day will be allowed if it is reasonable or necessary that the meal be taken away from home.  Incidentals will not be reimbursed if your duty travel starts and ends on the same day.

You may be reimbursed for the actual cost of meals and services, which exceed the allowances.  The reason must be justified and receipts provided.

Meals provided, as part of the cost of transportation and/or accommodation cannot be claimed.  The cost of meals may not be included on a hotel bill.

When your travel status is for more than 15 calendar days in one location, the maximum allowance is reduced to 50% of the meal amounts per day.  This does not apply in communities where housekeeping units or reasonable room and board are unavailable.

Other Expenses

You may be reimbursed for the following expenses:

  • Long distance telephone calls - business - if a satisfactory explanation is provided.
  • Long distance telephone calls - personal - if you are required to be away from home over a weekend, and are on continuous travel status for two or more days before the weekend.  This must be supported by receipts where available and may not exceed five minutes.

  • Local phone calls - business.
  • Baggage - storage and excess baggage charges, if a satisfactory explanation is provided.

  • Taxis - you must explain the use unless the purpose is clear.  Taxis should not be authorized for repeated trips between the same places where convenient public transportation is available.
  • Laundry - after 7 consecutive days on duty travel, a maximum of $20 for each subsequent 7 days, if not supported by receipts; or, if supported by receipts, a maximum of $20 after 5 consecutive days and the same amount for each subsequent 5 days.

  • Casual wages for service personnel - where a satisfactory explanation is provided, to a maximum of $50.

  • Childcare expenses - if your childcare expenses are more than normal because of the duty travel, you may be reimbursed a maximum of $50 per day per child.

Except for Laundry as stated, no item over $10 will be reimbursed without a receipt.

You will not be paid for the following:

  • Purchase of briefcases, fountain pens, tools or any other supplies or equipment.
  • Rental of television or radio receiving sets, where not included in the charge of accommodations.
  • Purchases of a personal nature, such as baggage, clothing, etc.
  • Telephone, telegraph, cable or radio messages of a personal nature, except as outlined above or if you have an unavoidable delay in arriving home.
  • Expenses of any kind incurred during stopovers for personal reasons or during periods of leave, with or without pay.
  • Any loss of money or personal belongings.
  • Collision damage waiver insurance on short-term rental vehicles (the Government provides automatic collision coverage for short term rented vehicles).


Duty travel must be authorized on a Travel Authorization and Expense Claim form before the start of your trip.

You must get prior authorization for special arrangements such as car rental and mileage on the Travel Authorization and Expense Claim Form.

If you want an advance, you should request it at least three working days before your trip.  The form will be returned to you along with a cheque for the advance.

Expenses must be claimed on the pre-authorized form within ten days of completion of your trip.  The claim must be supported by receipts where applicable.  A personal cheque to cover any amount by which your travel advance exceeds your claim must be attached.

Travel by Privately Owned Vehicle

The use of a privately owned vehicle will not be authorized if commercial transportation (e.g., airplane, taxi) would be more reasonable and practical.

Your reimbursement is limited to the commercial cost when the total cost of your trip, including the cost of meals, accommodation and incidental expenses exceeds the cost of the same journey by commercial means.

With prior authorization, you may use a privately owned vehicle for travel on Government business or on removal.  Reimbursement is $0.58 per kilometre for travel within the Northwest Territories and $0.51 per kilometre for travel elsewhere.  If the use of a privately owned vehicle is for your convenience, the allowance is reduced to $0.285 per kilometre. These rates change periodically.

You will be reimbursed for ferry, bridge, road and tunnel tolls, and parking charges.

There will be reimbursement for other travel expenses where applicable.  This is subject to the limits set out below.

Limitations for Travel by Privately Owned Vehicle

Personal insurance is required before you may use a private vehicle for Government business.  The Government will not pay for any additional insurance costs because you use a vehicle for Government business.

You will not be paid any claim for damage, loss or liability incurred while using a vehicle on Government business, other than that claimed under the Workers' Compensation Act.

Distances not listed will be the generally accepted kilometres for the most direct route.

No additional payment will be made for other employees on duty carried as passengers.

If the total cost of your trip (including the cost of meals, accommodation and incidental expenses) exceeds the cost of the same journey by ordinary commercial means, reimbursement will be limited to the commercial cost.

Headquarters Duty Travel

You may be reimbursed for unusual but necessary transportation expenses incurred while carrying out your duties within the headquarters area.

You may be reimbursed for a taxi between home and work when work after normal hours is required.  Circumstances such as the combination of late hours, weather and distance must make it unreasonable for you to use the normal means of transportation.

Headquarters duty travel may be reimbursed when transportation is necessary (e.g., because of bulky documents or time constraints).  The method chosen must be the most economical one under the circumstances.

You will not be paid for daily transportation expenses within your headquarters area between your home and place of duty without prior authorization.

If the total cost of your trip (including the cost of meals, accommodation and incidental expenses) exceeds the cost of the same journey by ordinary commercial means, reimbursement will be limited to the commercial cost.