Top GNWT Menu

How do I hire an employee through the Regional Recruitment Program?

Search Online Managers' Toolkit

What is the Regional Recruitment Program?

The Regional Recruitment Program (RRP) is an initiative of the Department of Finance’s Workforce Planning Strategy and supports the 18th Legislative Assembly Caucus’ commitment to increase employment opportunities where they are most needed by decentralizing more GNWT positions.

The Regional Recruitment Program links vacant regional positions  by supporting and assisting departments, boards and agencies in the recruitment and development of Northern residents through up to one year of on-the-job training. 

On-the-job training focuses on unique support and development for individual trainees to assist in identifying candidates, developing/implementing training plans and supporting trainees while they are participating in on-the-job training.

What kind of funding is available?

Funding, up to $15,000 per trainee position is provided through the RRP. The number of positions available to be funded by the program each year will vary,
depending on the number of trainee positions that require the maximum amount of funding. Here is how funding of trainee positions is delivered:

  • Trainees are paid at 80% of the full salary of the position (in accordance with the Trainee Provisions in the UNW Collective Agreement). Departments use the salary already associated with the existing position to pay for the trainees’ salary and O&M costs. The remaining 20% of the salary of the position is to be utilized by departments, boards and agencies to support individual training and development of the trainee.
  • To further assist the department and the trainee, funding of up to $15,000 per position is provided through the RRP. This funding is for additional training and development costs that may result, over and above the salary and O&M funding that is already in place for the vacant position.
  • An additional training allowance of up to $6,000 per annum per trainee is available through the RRP. This funding is for compensation to existing employees to assist with providing on-the-job training to the trainee, as outlined in the training plan. 

Application Process

To qualify a position for the RRP, a hiring manager must submit an application to the Regional Recruitment Specialist (RRS). Applications are received and assessed year-round by the RRS and departments are welcome to submit an application to the Program at any

Applications should address the following:

  1. Present the job title and job description of the vacant regional position that the department is proposing as a Program-supported trainee position. Typically, this will be achieved by adding the term “Trainee” to the beginning of the job title and ensuring that the required education and qualifications are suitable for participation in the Program.
  2. Explain how the position is relevant to the RRP by articulating how the skills needed to competently perform in the position could be developed in a candidate through on-the-job-training within a period of one year.
  3. Outline proposed training exercises to be completed by the trainee throughout the term of the program; including but not limited to:
  • details regarding which existing employees will be trainers to the trainee;
  • the length and location of this training;
  • other types of on-the-job training exercises; and
  • additional supports and development opportunities that the department plans to implement to enhance the candidate’s job skills and facilitate their success in the program.
  1. As thoroughly as can be done without knowing details of the person, who will be the trainee, complete the training plan template and include this with the application. Include a budget summarizing costs associated with items included on the training plan. The RRS is available to offer assistance to hiring managers with the completion of Program applications.
  2. Guarantee that the trainee will be recommended for direct appointment to the target position at the end of on-the-job training period, subject to supporting performance appraisals. 
  3. Reporting/supervisor relationship(s) for the trainee.
  4. Location of the position.

The RRS reviews and evaluates all applications. Based on evaluation results, the RRS approves those that fulfill the minimum requirements of the selection criteria while adhering to Program size and participation level parameters. Application Selection Criteria Selection criteria are based on program guidelines and are used by the RRS in scoring each application. Each criterion is rated based on a pre-assigned weight, as outlined in the Program Guidelines.

For more information

For more information or if you have any questions, please contact Neil Gauthier, Regional Recruitment Specialist with the Department of Finance at or 867-872-6539.